If you love to read, craft or spend hours in front of a computer, full spectrum desk lamps are probably the best and healthiest light source for your eyes.
It’s a scientific fact: Your eyes perform better in natural sunlight. But full spectrum lighting at your desk will give you much more benefits than that.
I’ve been using full spectrum lighting in my home for years now, and I won’t go back. It has made me more motivated, more energetic and my carb-craving level has surprisingly reduced by about 70 percent.
1. Full spectrum desk lamps can enhance mental awareness, concentration and productivity.
2. They reduce eye strain and fatigue (reduced melatonin levels).
3. They are glare-free and comfortable on your eyes.
4. The can lift your mood and increase your energy for the rest of the day (Serotonin, the “feel good” hormone, rises with exposure to bright light, and decreases with less sunlight exposure).
What’s a True Full Spectrum Desk Lamp?
Full spectrum lighting gives you almost all the benefits of natural balanced sunlight indoors.
True full spectrum light must contain a full spectrum of color, infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths.
There’s no such thing as incandescent full spectrum light bulb. Only fluorescent bulbs can produce the complete and healthy full spectrum light.
With that said, here are the top rated full spectrum desk lamps reviews, to help you find the best one for your needs:
Full Spectrum Desk Lamps Reviews
1. Verilux Original Natural Spectrum Desk Lamp
The attractively designed Verilux Full Spectrum desk lamp includes patented 10,000 hour 27W bulb which uses Trucolite Phosphor Technology to produce original Natural Spectrum indoor sunlight.
Conveniently, the Verilux has a 2-way brightness control to meet your preference.
Product Dimensions: 9.6 x 7 x 26.5 inches; 5.4 pounds
Let’s take a look at the good and the bad in the Verilux Desk Lamp:
1. This light doesn’t flicker and makes no annoying buzzing sounds.
2. Adjustable steel gooseneck – Good feature, but I have found it to get a bit “tippy” when the light portion of the lamp is not parallel to the base.
3. An electronic power system.
4. The 27 W bulbs are equivalent to ordinary 100 W or 150 W bulbs. Bulb lasts 10X longer, too (10,000 hours).
5. It is lightweight and easily portable. It doesn’t take up much space, a great fit for a bedside reading lamp too. But, maybe not perfectly fit for computer work.
6. Warranty – 1 year, other buyers on Amazon rated Verilux customer service high.
The Verilux lamp can be the perfect full spectrum light lamp for those who do a lot of reading and crafting, but for those who need it for computer work, I would recommend a different lamp.
Price – The Verilux lamp best price is on Amazon right now.
It this seems pricy to you, check out below the Sunlight Desk Lamp, which is half the price of the Verilux:
2. Sunlight Desk Lamp Natural Full Spectrum Light
The little-less-attractive Sunlight Full Spectrum Lamp costs 25$ less than the Verilux lamp, yet is just as high rated by users.
Again, 150 watt of light output consumes 27 watts of energy, simulating natural, white sunlight.
Product Dimensions: 4 x 7 x 19 inches, 4 pounds.
Let’s see the pros and cons in the Sunlight full spectrum light:
1. Size and weight – The Sunlight lamp us 4 times heavier than the Verilux. But I found the lamp pretty adaptable: All 3 sections can be adjusted – the base swivels, the arm lowers and raises, and the bulb section can be directed.
2. Average Life: 10,000 Hours.
3. Approximate Initial Lumens: 1400 (about 15,650 LUX). Color Temperature: 6500K, CRI (color reading index): 82.
4. Touch On/off switch – No brightness control (but light intensity can be altered to fit your needs by adjusting the lamp position…)
5. Stability – Stable and heavy enough on bottom and not too heavy. This lamp is not a perfect fit for bed reading though, it’s better for a desk.
6. Warranty – 2 years.
7. Price – The sunlight desk lamp’s price is reasonable and is totally worth it, considering its high quality.
You can find it on Amazon .
Do Full Spectrum Desk Lamps Treat SAD and Depression?
Bright light therapy is a proven natural method to dramatically relieve winter depression.
If you main goal is SAD treatment, I would recommend better lamps for this purpose, such as the Daylight Classic and Daylight Sky (Full reviews and comparisons are HERE).
Full spectrum light is the best light for reading, studying and crafting by far.
The Verilux Desk lamp and the Sunlight Full Spectrum lamp are the 2 best full spectrum desk lamps right now, but if I had to choose one…
You can see hundreds of user reviews right here.
What about you? Have you ever had a full spectrum lamp before? I’d love to hear your experience and recommendation in the comments below…
To your health & happiness,
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.